Thursday, September 3, 2026

The Network

"Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others." 
Philippians 2:4

There was a storm rolling in.  I could see the black clouds on the horizon.  I could smell the rain in the air.  And of course, I checked the radar on the Weather Channel. (lol) I knew it was coming.  I quickly finished the task I was working on, gave my little dog, Grace, her anxiety calming treat, and we hunkered down on the couch to wait for the storm.  As the thunder crashed, the lightning flashed and the rain came pouring down, I thought of a few people I knew who feared such storms, and I began to text each one.  I asked them if they were okay, and then I reassured them that no matter how dark it may get, or how hard the winds blow, yet there were no tornados predicted.  Each text that I sent out was met with a reply telling me how much they appreciated being thought of and being checked on.
Then a funny thing happened: I got a text from my husband and then my son asking me if I was okay.  I smiled to myself and thought of the wonderful 'Network' we had going during the storm.  The comforts of communication that got sent out to reassure everyone that we would all be okay.

I was reminded of another Network.  A Network that connects each Giant Sequoias tree along California's rugged northern coastline.  These mighty, gigantic, ancient trees that tower over 350 feet tall have a shallow root system.  So shallow that if they were to stand alone, they would not be so mighty after all.  In fact, they probably would not survive a storm.  Standing alone, they would fall.  But because their root system intertwines with the other trees around them, they can stand through any storm; and so can the tree next to it.
I love that!

You don't have to wait for a storm to blow through before you connect with someone...
    Just reach out and let someone know you are there for them...
        You just may have prevented them from falling...
            But that's just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment