Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Acceptance

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
This prayer was written by Reinhold Niebuhr in 1951.  You probably have seen it on Wall Art, Bookmarks, Tote Bags, you name it.  But have you really taken the words to this prayer to heart?
I recently confided in a friend of mine, that I have had a tough week.  A crying week.   A week of desperation.  Even to the point where I was asking God to give me any other health problem if He would just remove the one I have had for the last thirty years.
His Answer:  "My grace is sufficient for you.  I have carried you for these past thirty years and I will continue to do so."
Tough answer.  I'm past due to accept this.
In 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, we are told that the Apostle Paul also had a health problem.  Paul prayed three times to have this removed and three times the answer was no.
And that was the end of that.  You never heard Paul mention it again.  There was no more prayer asking God to remove this thorn in his flesh.  Paul prayed, God answered, Paul accepted God's answer and he moved on!  Paul learned that God's power was displayed in his weakness.  2 Corinthians 12:9 says, "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:  for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
I cannot change my condition.  The power to do so rests in God alone.
It's time for me to accept this "thorn in my flesh" and move on.  To thank God for giving me the grace I need to get through each day.  After all, He has never let me down in the past.  I can trust that He will carry me through the future.
     But then again.....that's just me.







3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy! I think it is great that you are writing this blog! EE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EE. I know who you are and I love you very much!

      Delete
  2. I don't know how to say that this comment is from EE. not tim.

    ReplyDelete