Friday, July 17, 2020

Detours

I had my morning all planned out yesterday.  After asking the Lord to direct my steps, I began my day.  My morning was running like a well-oiled machine, scratching off errands from my 'To Do List' when my husband called.  His folks needed help with something that couldn't wait.  What to do?  I needed to specifically be somewhere by ten, and no matter how I rearranged everything in my head, it just was not going to work with this added 'To Do' on my list.  So I immediately called my ten o clock appointment to let them know I would still be there but probably thirty minutes later than originally planned.  No problem.
So off I go.
Along the way, I met with road construction and ridicules long-lasting red lights.  By now I was about 45 minutes behind schedule.
Detours.
Webster's Dictionary defines Detour as this:
A deviation from a direct course or the usual procedure.
Yes-my intended direct course for my morning was definitely deviated!
How did I handle my deviation?
Remember? Before I began my day, I asked God to direct my steps.  So I realized that I was where I was suppose to be when God wanted me to be there.
We don't always know why this happens, but yesterday God showed me why He altered my original course.
As I was driving back into my little town in which I reside, I was stopped by a horrible car crash.  The ambulance had already left, but the mangled car was loaded on the tow truck, and police were busy cleaning up the mess.  A drunk driver had driven into town and struck a tree, approximately 45 minutes prior to my arrival back home.
Coincidence?
I don't think so.
Proverbs 16:9 says, A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
I believe with all my heart that God protected me from that drunk driver yesterday by allowing detours to keep me safe from harm.
So what about you?  When a detour throws a glitch in your well-planned day, how do you react?  Does it put you in a foul mood?  Do you complain?  Are you out of kilter for the rest of the day because things didn't go like you wanted them to?  Or do you rest in the fact that God is in control?
I don't know about you, but I will thank God that He is directing my steps!
But.....that's just me!


1 comment:

  1. I must say that when this happens to me I really take pause to see what God has in store for me. Never try to outguess God or put your plans before His. This was a great way to start off today and read this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete