"The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself."
Proverbs 11:25
Brother Larry Ingalls recently visited our church and shared a video of his ministry, Baptist Couriers for Christ, with us. In one picture, it showed a room full of people listening to the Word of God being preached. Among the hundreds of people in that room, only two bibles were among them. The two people with the bibles, sat in the middle of the room and when the Pastor referred to a specific verse, those two people would hold their bibles up in the air for all to see. As soon as the bibles were held up, the entire room turned to look at the precious word of God. You could see the longing in their eyes; to one day hold a bible in their own hands.
When I saw that picture, I cried.
I have a bookshelf full of bibles that I have purchased and used throughout the years. When one bible shows wear and tear, I go online and order a new one and place the old one on the shelf with all the others.
Six years ago, I began an email bible study with my aunt who lives in a different State. She asked me if I had a bible I could mail to her. Her request made my blood freeze in my veins. The thought of having to choose one of my personal, precious bibles to give away was like amputating part of my body. Years of experiences and years of notes written in the margins seemed all too personal to me. I couldn't believe her request. Deep down I thought to myself, 'What? Send you one of my bibles?' I began to sweat. Then I thought that maybe I could just buy her a brand new one. But no. She wanted one of my personal bibles. I began to pray. I prayed and I prayed and I prayed about which bible I should send her. I ended up sending her one of my favorite bibles that was jam packed with notes, answered prayers, heart-cries and praises.
And do you know what?
I don't regret it for a minute.
Proverbs 11:25 tells us that a generous person will prosper and whoever refreshes others will also be refreshed.
I had nothing to lose.
And everything to gain.
I learned a lot about myself that day, and it also reminded me of something:
The Christian life is all about giving ALL.
The Christian life is giving SELF to OTHERS...and
It's about giving family and strangers the best of what you have in ALL things.
I also learned that giving a bible away...
whether or not it's one of my own, or one I purchased to give away...
is the most rewarding gift I can give to anyone...
for them, and for me...
But that's just me!
Baptist Couriers for Christ was founded as a Bible smuggling ministry on November 6, 1979, by Donald Stertz. During a survey trip behind the Iron Curtain in 1978, he made a chilling discovery; in a church of 100, only 2 had bibles. Since then, this ministry has grown to use containers of all shapes and sizes to send Gospel literature and Scripture around the world. This material is printed in thousands of different languages and sent to churches and missionaries throughout the world. If you would like to help in this ministry, you can find Baptist Couriers for Christ online, or write to them at:
3030 Witzel Ave. Oshkosh, Wi 54904
No comments:
Post a Comment