Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Pardon the Interruption

 "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him."
Proverbs 18:13

Has someone ever interrupted you while you were speaking to answer a question, they think you are about to ask?
Has someone ever interrupted you while you were speaking to finish your sentence for you.
Has someone ever echoed the words you are speaking while you are saying them because they think they know what you will say?  
Has someone ever just interrupted you before you finished your sentence at all?
This has happened to me, and guess what?
I've done it to others.
It's annoying, isn't it?  Especially when our spouse does it.  I can't count the number of times I will be telling my husband something and he will finish my sentence before I do, and I have to say, 'That isn't what I was going to say.'
And guess what?
He has had to say the same thing to me just as many times.

Kidner once said, "This is 'a special snare of self-importance.'" 
Matthew Henry notes that a "ready wit is fun, but solid judgment requires patience."

But when you come right down to it, it's pride and it's just plain rude; and when we speak before knowing the full facts, it exposes us to disgrace.

I wonder if I've interrupted my Lord?  Have I been too impatient to fully listen to what He is trying to teach me?  Have I interpreted His Word incorrectly because I haven't read it in context?  Am I hasty in going about my Father's business and doing something He didn't even call me to do?
I'm sorry, Lord.

Do you interrupt the Lord while He is speaking to you...?"
    Let Him finish speaking...
        You might be surprised by what He says....
            But that's just me!





No comments:

Post a Comment