Friday, August 7, 2026

Power-Washed

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17

I didn't really notice the condition of our front porch until I opened our front door the other day to retrieve an Amazon package that had been delivered. (We generally use our side door to enter and exit our home.)  The wood was faded to gray with moss growing on most of the boards.  Years of weathered decay was finally becoming evident because of its lack of use.  At first, my husband wanted to replace all of the boards, but I asked him if I could try to power-wash it first.  With his 'Okay,' and with his assistance to get the power-washer all set up and ready to use, I began to power-wash the porch.  As I washed each board, an incredible thing began to happen.  The gray weathered dirt and moss began to peel off like old paint, and what it revealed underneath was beautiful, new wood.  Untouched and untainted by time. 

As I was watching this transformation I was reminded of a great transformation that takes place when a sinful heart turns to Christ for Salvation.  Of course, a sin-sick heart is a heart full of decay. It's not just on the surface; a sinful heart must be replaced with a new one. It needs to be replaced by Christ Alone.

For the believer, each time we confess our sin, Jesus promises to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness; not just on the surface, but thoroughly cleansed!  Untouched and untainted by sin.

Black hearts turn white as snow.

I wish I could show you 'before and after' pictures of my front porch.  The difference really is amazing.

How much more so, the results of a sinner's soul...
    Being washed clean...
        By the blood of Christ...?
            But that's just me!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment