Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Best Day of My Life

(A Hypothetical Narrative)

"What started out as the worst day of my life, turned out to be the best day of my life; let me explain.
I always knew this day would come; I just didn't expect it to be so soon.  Then again, Death is never when you expect it. 
There is a crowd today, more so than in past crucifixions, what's the draw?  The people are angry, not just curious.  There are hateful taunts, mockeries, head wagging.
I look past the man in the middle and see a familiar face.  We have crossed paths before; hidden in the quiet of the night, darkness covering our thievery and lusts; he had it coming, just like I did and today we both hang here on crosses of our own making, exposed, in the light.
CAUGHT! 
The voices in the crowd grow louder, and since I tend to follow the rebellious, I find myself adding my own railings against this stranger who hangs on a cross in the middle between two criminals.
I hear someone shout, "Save thyself and come down from the cross!"  (Mark 15:30) Then a Chief Priest shouts, "He saved others; himself he cannot save!"  (Mark 15:31)
My ears perk; "he saved others?"
I turn to this man in the middle, who has so far, remained quiet.  There are no retaliatory remarks or cursing's coming from his mouth.  I read the inscription written on his cross:  JESUS OF NAZERETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.  (John 19:19)
Before I can process the meaning of such words, I see him slowly lifting himself up using the narrow board at his bloodied feet, and I hear him say, "Father forgive them; for they know not what they do."  (Luke 23:34)
Could it be, this crowd is mistaken, that this man hangs here unjustly?
He speaks again, this time to a man who is standing beside a woman.  His mother?  I cannot remove my eyes from this woman; there is grief and heartache etched in each line of her face, and yet I see something else...HOPE? "Woman, behold thy son!"  And to the disciple, "Behold thy mother."  (John 19:26,27)
The criminal on the other side of this hill begins to rail on the man in the middle, and I can remain silent no more.  I cry out, "Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?  And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss." (Luke 23:40,41)
I turn to this man they call Jesus and I ask, "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom."
(Luke 23:42)
In the midst of his agony, he spoke directly to me, and he said, "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)
It wasn't long until I heard him speak again to his Father.  He said, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit, It is finished."  (Luke 23:46, John 19:30)
And then he died.
I watched as a Roman soldier pierced his side and blood and water came forth and spilled out onto the ground.  I bowed my head and in great sorrow and with GREAT JOY, I wept.
As the appeased crowd dispersed, I knew it wouldn't be long now until I saw my Saviour again;
He is waiting for me in paradise."

The Best Day of my Life was July 5, 1995.  I turned from my sin and turned to Christ, and just like this thief on the cross, He saved me.
He will save you too...
        Just turn to Him and ask...
            But that's just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment