Tuesday, July 21, 2026

The Voice of A Shepherd

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.  And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him; for they know not the voice of strangers."  Jesus speaking, John 10:4-5

I remember as a little girl, I could be in a room full of other kids and their mom's but when my mom called out to me, (and she didn't even have to call me out by name) I always knew that the voice I heard belonged to my mom.  When she called out to get my attention, for whatever reason, I heard her voice and I knew who she was, and I knew who she was speaking to; me.

During World War 1, some soldiers tried to steal a flock of sheep from a hillside near Jerusalem. The sleeping shepherd awoke to find his flock being driven off.  He couldn't recapture them by force, so he called out to his flock with his distinctive call.  The sheep listened, and returned to their rightful owner.  The soldiers couldn't stop the sheep from returning to their shepherd's voice.  

There is also a story of a Scotch traveler who changed clothes with a Jerusalem shepherd and tried to lead the sheep: but the sheep followed the shepherds voice and not his clothes.  (Dods)

Sheep do not follow after the voice of a stranger.  Why?  Because they only listen for the voice of their shepherd.  A shepherd whose voice they do not recognize, they ignore. 
Only their own personal shepherd has authority over their care, and they know him by his voice.

Do you know the voice of The Good Shepherd?

If so, He will lead you, guide you and protect you...
    But if you know not His voice, you will be led to danger and destruction...
        But that's just me!


No comments:

Post a Comment